WHAT ARE THE ELECTIONS OF THE COLOMBIAN COFFEE GROWERS’ FEDERATION?
- The Colombian Coffee Growers’ Federation (Federación Nacional de Cafeteros FNC) was created in 1927 and currently represents around 540,000 farmer families in the country.
- The 8th and 9th of September 2018, the FNC will hold a nation-wide vote to elect its representatives for the next period.
- More than 350.000 members of the FNC are entitled to vote in the upcoming election.
- The level of electoral participation in these elections is remarkably high and usually reaches an approximately 70% of its members.
- The number of municipal and departmental representatives that will be elected in this process is 4.764.
HOW WILL MOE OBSERVE THIS ELECTION?
- MOE will deploy more than 400 observers in 190 municipalities in 16 Departments of Colombia.
- MOE will also have observers monitoring both stationary and mobile polling stations.
- MOE will activate the citizen reporting platform pilasconelvoto.com to receive alerts on alleged irregularities in the process.
WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES OF MOE’S OBSERVATION OF THE FNC ELECTION?
- Contribute to the process of continuous improvement of electoral procedures of the Colombian Coffee Growers’ Federation through information generation on the development of the voting, the norms that regulate the electoral contest and the role of the coffee growers’ community as participants and overseers of democratic spaces.
- Promote the right that coffee growers have to elect their representatives.
- Generate a trusting environment for candidates and voters to express themselves and vote freely, ensuring plenty of guarantees for the responsible treatment of information and the effectiveness of timely and proper responses to alerts and reports of alleged irregularities.
- Clarify the roles of different actors throughout the stages of the electoral process